Looking for a way to update your kitchen? Is a full remodel beyond your budget? Get ready to see your kitchen in a whole new light!
Updating your cabinets with paint is a simple way to transform the look of your kitchen without the expense or hassle of a full remodel. Whether you are dreaming of classic white cabinets or something a little more colorful, a refreshed space is just a can of paint away.
Preparing Your Kitchen Cabinets For Paint
One of our top tips for a successful painting project, whether you’re painting furniture, walls, or cabinetry, is to properly prepare your surface. We know you’re eager to see your new color up, but taking your time at this stage of the process will give you significantly better looking and longer lasting results.
Begin by removing doors and drawers from the cabinet boxes. Give your cabinets a thorough scrubbing with soap and water to remove built up grease and residue. For especially dirty cabinets use a degreaser.
Rough up the surface of cabinets with 100-grit sandpaper. Remove all dust, and then apply primer in the direction of the wood grain. For heavier wood grain it may be necessary to apply two coats of primer. Allow the primer to dry completely before giving them a light sanding and wiping them down with a tack cloth.
Tips For Painting Kitchen Cabinets
Now that your cabinets are properly primed and dust-free the most labor intensive part of the job is behind you!
- Look for a water-based paint designed specifically for painting cabinets. These will be formulated to give you the smoothest, most durable finish.
- Invest in a good quality angled brush that will allow you to paint all the inset edges of your cabinets with ease.
- Always paint in one direction, following the grain line of the wood.
- Let cabinet doors and drawers dry on a flat surface to avoid drips
- Avoid unnecessary dents by following the manufacturer’s drying instructions.
Getting Help With Your Cherry Hill, NJ Kitchen
Are you ready to see a whole new side to your kitchen? We’re here to help! Even though painting kitchen cabinets is less of a headache than a full remodel, it still requires plenty of work. With a team of professional painters on your side you can enjoy picking the perfect color then sit back and let us take care of the work. Call today to schedule your appointment.